Thursday, September 02, 2010

Voices on Unity - Ian Stevenson

Cllr Ian Stevenson
Ballymoney District Council
DUP




















I believe and feel that I am intrinically British and politically this is verified as I live in part of the United Kingdom. I believe I have a stronger affinity with Scotland, a link which has diminished over the centuries. As a Northern Ireland Unionist I have seen so many concessions to the nationalist population within Northern Ireland that are contrary to my wishes that a United Ireland I perceive would only further accentuate the erosion of the culture of a people who wish to remain British. One should also note the decline of Protestant population in South since 1921.

I believe that even within the nationalist population there is a significant difference between those in "the north" and those in "the south". This is manifested by the level of support for Sinn Fein in the 26 counties which is regarded as a Northern party and not one which is wanted in any governmental coalition in the Republic, nor indeed liked by many of those I have talked to in the Republic. I believe, not taking into account the financial instability of any such move, that we should concentrate on making Northern Ireland better instead of trying to alienate one large section of the population who are not welcome to parade in areas which are called nationalist areas. If this is an example of what to expect more of, then that would be one reason alone to say "No thanks".

No comments: