Tuesday, July 01, 2008

Ógra Visit Catalan Countries

Ógra activist Cllr. Johnny McGibbon writes a brief outline of his recent trip to the Valencian Country. Johnny attended a weekend event organised by SEPC (Sindicat d'Estudiants dels Països Catalans), a student based Catalan organization.

The SEPC are a leftist, student and independantist movement in the Catalan Countries. Recently I travelled to the Valencian Country, to take part in an event, focused on education and curriculum in the Catalan Countries.

I arrived in Barcelona on May Day, to attend a May Day rally in the city. The march saw thousands parade through the centre of the city, from various different political, cultural and worker’s organizations. The march was one of a number of large marches through the city on the day.

I moved on the next day to a town in the Valencian Country, where I was to attend a weekend event on education. The weekend started brightly with a 4 hour bus journey from Barcelona, and a pleasant hold up from the Guardia Civil at the entrance to the town. Stopped at a dirt-track at the side of the road, just large enough for a coach, I was told it was a routine check-point. It was convenient nonetheless.

We arrived at the organizational headquarters for the weekend soon after. Here a local school was used for registration and general administration of the weekend.

The actual talks and debates took place in the local Town Hall, with 2 events always running simultaneously. This meant activists had the choice of which event to attend and which topic to discuss. Topics covered a wide variety of subjects within education and issues effecting students; ranging from bullying, drug and alcohol abuse, to education through the Catalan Language.

A wide variety of speakers from within both Catalan independence circles, and wider educational circles, were brought into make presentations and facilitate discussions on the various issues. I was lucky enough to be accompanied by a translator, and was able to understand and contribute to the workshops which followed.

My main participation of the weekend was a talk on education. I was asked to talk about the education system in Ireland, while another representative from the Basque Country, outlined the strategy the Basque Independence movement are currently applying, to form a new Basque Curriculum.

I discussed with them our vision of education in Ireland, our ministry in the north and did my best update them on recent developments like the removal of the 11 Plus. I also highlighted the development of education through An Ghaeilge and the ongoing battle for language rights in both education and general society.

Overall I believe the event was an interesting, worthwhile and well run weekend. I think we learnt some lessons, and hopefully shared some experience with the Catalans.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

you fairly get around jhonny

Anonymous said...

I only go to where I am sent!

Johnny