Friday, February 06, 2009

Women in Struggle Interview – Kerry McColgan

Gemma McKenna
Uladh Gender Equality Officer
Ógra Shinn Féin

I sat down with Kerry McColgan, a 21 year old Beauty Therapist from Omagh, County Tyrone as part of the ongoing women in struggle interviews.

Kerry is just like any other 21 year old, enjoying swimming and going out with her friends at the weekend, yet unlike many others she took a conscious decision to become active in republican and community struggle.

Kerry had many influences which led her to becoming active in Ógra, growing up in the republican estate of Strathroy, having family members imprisoned, her father Martin is currently Chairman of Omagh District Council, and her brother Barry, the National Organiser of Ógra Shinn Féin.



How did you get interested in politics?

I grew up in a republican family and from an early age I regularly visited my uncle who was a POW in Long Kesh. On the way to Long Kesh and during the visits I heard people talking about the blanket men and the Hunger Strikers, of the hardships they had suffered because of their political beliefs and they inspired me to become involved in politics.

I also wanted to make a difference in my community and tackle the problems that face people in their everyday lives.

Were you involved in politics before getting involved in Ógra?

Yes with helping Sinn Fein canvassing, leafleting and other election work in various counties throughout Ireland. Also through protests and campaigns.



How did you find out or know about Ógra Shinn Fein?

My brother Barry who is currently the National Organiser for Ogra was then the Six County Organiser.

Has your interest in politics come your family influence? And How?

Yes my family have a long time been involved in politics. My dad has been a Sinn Fein activist for many years and my uncle Tony served six years in Long Kesh. Also my brother has been active in Ogra from an early age so I have had loads of influence from various family members.

My mother, father, aunties and uncles are also heavily involved in community activism, helping with youth clubs, senior citizen groups, and the strathroy community association, this made me aware of the importance of community work, as it creates a community spirit and helps empower people.

What would you be doing if you weren’t involved in Ógra?

I would be involved with my local community group organising local events for my local area and campaigning for youth services and for youth provision. I would also be involved with my local Sinn Fein cumann.

What actions have Ógra taken in your area (weekend’s protests etc)

Ogra have been very active in my area campaigning on many issues. Including:

-Release of IRA prisoners
-Occupation of Iraq and Afghanistan
-Plight of Palestine/Gaza
-Suicide awareness and prevention
-Road Safety
-Drugs awareness
-Student Fees and Education

We were also part of a successful demilitarisation campaign at the now former British Army Bases of Lisanelly and St Lucia in Omagh.


What do you like most about Ógra Shinn Féin?

I like the fact that in Ogra young people have the opportunity to develop their political skills and confidence through campaigning, educational weekends and workshops. To quote Gerry Adams, “Young people have always been central to the republican struggle”.


Have you any major achievements within Ógra or things that you will remember for a long time to come?

-It give me the confidence to speak publically for the first time
-Representing my cumann at the Ogra National Congress and Sinn Féin Ard Fheis
-Completing the ASIST programme on suicide awareness and prevention
-Visiting the hospital in Long Kesh where Bobby Sands and his comrades died during the 1981 Hunger Strike


What do you enjoy doing outside of Politics?

I work in a beauty salon, and I also enjoy swimming, and going out with my friends at the weekend.


How do you think you make politics relevant to young people and what are the major pressing issues for young people?

By showing them how political actions and political campaigns can bring about decisions that affect their everyday life. There are many major pressing issues for young people including;

-Student fees
-Road safety
-Suicide prevention
-Sexual health
-Car insurances costs for young people
-Drug issues



If there was one issue you could get young people active on, what would it be?

Really there are two issues I would like to get young people active on. One is drug awareness and the other is suicide awareness. Both of these issues have become an increasing problem in today’s society, especially among young people and in some cases these two issues are linked.

What issue is your cumann active on currently?

We are currently helping in organising for the National Hunger Strike Commemoration which will be in Tyrone this year.

Who has been a role model for you political?

Bobby Sands, Gerry Adams and Nelson Mandela

What female has most influenced you?

My mum and Countess Markievicz



Quickfire Round


Favourite Food: chicken curry with naan bread

Favourite Drink: Magners

Favourite Music / Artist: I like a bit of everything but mostly rebel music

Favourite songs : If I were a boy, Joe McDonnell, Galtee mountain boy, The Peoples Own MP and Broken Strings

Favourite Films: Mannequinn, Braveheart and The Wind that Shakes the Barley


Favourite Book: Bobby Sands Nothing But An Unfinished Song

Favourite Holiday resort: Oviedo

Person most influential in your life: My dad

Person you would like to meet (living) Nelson Mandela

Person you would like to meet (deceased) Che Guevara, Bobby Sands

If you were president of Ireland or Taoiseach what 3 things would you do to change Ireland?

-I would extend representation in the Dail to include Northern representatives.
-I would also extend voting rights to people in the North for the Irish Presidential elections.
-I would ensure there could not be a re-run of the Lisbon treaty.

Any other comments: Tiocfaidh ár lá!

5 comments:

Seán Ó Briain said...

"Favourite Drink: Magners"

Well played!

Anonymous said...

Very good interview, and important for all republicans to get active in community struggle. Shauna

doc said...

Very insightful interview indeed! I've just discovered this blog,and very pleased about the work yous are doing. I'm a PhD candidate at he School of Politics @ Queen's Uni (Belfast), & I have my own blog @:
www.conflictresearch.blogspot.com

For those involved in the blog, would yous be ok if I add a link to your blog on mine?

Tíocfaidh ár lá!

Chaminda Weerawardhana

Ógra Shinn Féin said...

Yeah thats brilliant, add the link. And if you are interested in joining the Sheena Campbell cumann in QUB, email osfnational@yahoo.ie

Anonymous said...

Excellent interview.