Friday, January 15, 2010

Sheena Campbell – Inspiring Another Generation of Republican Women

Gemma McKenna
National Gender Equality Offcer
Ógra Shinn Féin


(The following piece was originally written for the new Sheena Campbell book produced by An Phoblacht.)

I never met Sheena Campbell, I was only a child of four when she was murdered. However, Sheena’s life has been an inspiration to me. The first Sinn Féin cumann I joined was the Sheena Campbell cumann in Queen’s University, at the start of my first year at university.

There are moments in our life that we will never forget, and I firmly believe that the talk I went to mark Sheena Campbell's fifteenth anniversary will be one of mine.

I could hardly believe the strength, courage and commitment this young women possessed. What was even more inspiring to me is that Sheena is from the same area as myself, she was a local woman.


I often think about Sheena Campbell and find motivation from the way she lived her life.
When I am in my local Sinn Féin office, which is named after her -Teach Sheena Campbell- I regularly hear stories about Sheena. Brendan (her partner) speaks of how strong and determined a woman she was and also of her great sense of humour.

Sheena was chair of her local Comhairle Ceantair in her early 20s. Being one of the few women in the party at the time didn’t intimidate her, she knew there was work to be done and just got on with it.

It is difficult to put in words how some-one that you did not know could have such a powerful impact on your life but I am completely honest when I say Sheena Campbell is a constant source of inspiration for me and a reminder of what all our struggle is all about.

I live in a different time than Sheena did, with different challenges ahead, but the goal of a united Ireland remains the same. Sheena Campbell embodies for me what it is to be a republican; she was a completely dedicated young woman who constantly strived to better her own community.
I am proud that Sheena Campbell came from my own area and our struggle was advanced because of her dedication.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow...Brilliant article Gemma. i think Sheena is an inspiration to us all! :)