Saturday, December 16, 2006

Women in Struggle Interview: Grace Vaughey



Grace Vaughey is a member of Ógra Shinn Fein in Dublin. Originally from Meath Grace recalls her introduction to politics and Ógra Shinn Féin.

"In Transition Year, when I was nothing more than an apolitical 16 year old, I got involved a lot in debating. One time when I travelled to Monaghan to debate the pros and cons of genetically modified foods, I happened to meet the delightful charms of Morgan Fraser (whose ass I KICKED in the debate btw!!) and we became firm friends. The more I got to know him and his politics, the more I realised that I agreed with them. The decision was made for me. I had always been passionate about the Irish language and culture and this just seemed like a natural add on for me."

"I joined Sinn Féin when I was 16, joining the then new Drogheda Cumann and did a little bit of work there getting it up and running. I then moved to Dublin to go to Trinity and I joined the TCD Ógra cumann there on my first Freshers day, and then joined Dublin Ógra shortly afterwards, getting more and more involved with the senior party as time went on. I got slightly involved with the new Phibsboro/Drumcondra cumann, and the Cabra cumann also.

"In my first year in the TCD cumann, I held the position of secretary, Irish language officer and PRO, moving onto chair and PRO in my second year. On the Dublin officer board, I originally held Irish language officer, then took on the role of secretary, then PRO, and now students officer for Dublin. I also work a lot within the ethnic minorities group in the party, as well as the equality department."

Asked about her priorities for the upcoming year Grace said

"It's hard to say really. I think that your priorities shouldn't necessarily be determined by what role you have. My main priority is seeing more women integrating into the party, and into politics as a whole. Others would include getting young people, especially those who chose not to go, or were not able to go to college, finding their space within the party. I would like to see more cohesion between the senior party and Ógra, yet retaining that separateness that makes Ógra able to be as radical as they are now. "

"Being in PRO has certainly been the most taxing. Dublin Ógra always have one controversial protest on or another, so it's hard work making sure they all hit the headlines. Being chair of TCD has been particularly challenging. It's hard to keep students motivated, when the last thing they want after a day of lectures is to sit in on a meeting. The challenge is to keep it active, keep it interesting, and not bore people and drive them away with incessant meetings. Keeping the women in the cumann is always hard work, but I've held several "Women in Politics" sessions which does seem go an awful way in helping."

If Grace wasn't involved in Ógra she predicts

"I'd like to think that I would be involved in some kind of charity work, possibly women's aid, or working with the homeless. I would definitely be involved with working with disadvantaged kids, either from an emotional point of view, or on a more hands-on, possibly educating kind of way. I'd more than likely be involved with Irish language activism."

Reflecting on Dublin activism within Ógra in the past year Grace recalls

"There really would be too many to mention on this one. Dublin Ógra is extremely successful in this regard, whether it's protests outside Leinster house against collusion; disrupting auctions of 1916 memorabilia; paint balling British war ships; or holding numerous meetings about topics that are current and meaningful to the youth of the county."

Looking towards the Future of Ógra in Dublin, Grace forecasted

"I'd like to see Dublin Ógra integrate more with the Leinster Cúige, and hold regular meetings with the college reps from Dundalk and so on. Dublin may be the stronghold of the province, but so much more could be attained by proper communication."

Relating top what Grace likes most about Ógra grace stated

"The comradeship. Never have I come across such a tight knit community that embraces everybody that shows even half an interest. Ógra is often much more than politics, and it's one of the main reasons why we are so successful."

Grace sees her major achievements within Ógra as

"Going to Corsica with Barry was an eye opening experience. It was great to learn of a struggle that, if I can be honest, I knew absolutely nothing about. The Corsicans were so eager to learn of out struggle and learn from it that it renewed my republicanism tenfold. The Cead Blian march in Dublin's city centre also was a real eye opener to the interest in republicanism in the county and to the fact that many people are willing to get involved if they just knew how. It was the biggest march I have ever been involved in, and the party came together all over the country to make it happen in style. There have been so many other experiences within the party that have shaped and changed who I am that I couldn't possibly list them all."


Quickfire Round:

Favourite Food: Cheese fries in Eddie Rockets

Favourite Drink : Milk

Favourite Music / Artist: I literally can listen to anything, bar county and western. Snow Patrol, Damien Rice, Damien Dempsey, Tori Amos... Waaaay to many to mention!

Favourite Film: The Shawshank Redemption.

Favourite Book: "Vindication of the Rights of Women" – Mary Wollstonecraft.

Favourite Holiday resort: California

Most memorable moment in Ógra: Circulating a vicious email about Margaret Thatcher and making all the headlines :)

Person most influential in your life: Sprocket my teddy

Person you would like to meet (living): Margaret Thatcher, so I can apologise. Then say it allllll over again to her face.

Person you would like to meet (deceased) Michael Collins, and ask him just what the hell he was doing.

If you were president of Ireland or Taoiseach what 3 things would you do to change Ireland?

1) Reduce the age of voting to 16. A controversial topic, but it needs to be done.
2) Truly bi-lingualise the country. No more half measures.
3) Make it illegal for Barry McColgan to say he's from West Tyrone more than 20 times a day.


5 comments:

Anonymous said...

A great graphic. Like Grace, I agree that the national mobilisation in Dublin to mark 100 years of Sinn Féin was a great event (except for those untidy flute bands).

Looking forward to more articles regarding the participation of young republicans in struggle.

Best wishes to everyone for a revolutionary 2007.

See you all in Co. Fermanagh on New Years day for Fergal O'Hanlon & Sean South commemoration.

Anonymous said...

Great interview Grace, Sisters Unite!

Anonymous said...

mad and happy new year to all you ogres

Anonymous said...

'Person most influential in your life: Sprocket my teddy' - Very inspirational!!!!

Anonymous said...

viva,

is the fermanagh parade going ahead or have the parades commission put restrictions on it??