Monday, May 28, 2007

Never Give Up!


Eugene Garvey
Ógra Shinn Féin
Co Lú

We have heard of the “I generation” and with election 2007 the “Me Generation” were born and they came out to vote in force on issue around their own personal economic welfare. We have to respect that vote and we have to except that our (Sinn Féin) economic policy did not satisfy their wants.

I believe that the results of the election will end up seeing more of the same and will see the continued down grading of hospitals, and the increase of inequality in the 26 counties for the next five years or possible less, but I hope not.

I have seen some comrades with there heads down over the results, and it is understandable. However I don’t think it was a terrible day for us, although it was a blow. We have increased or vote in nearly every area we ran candidates in.

To Sean Crowe I would like to say well done on the work over the last five years, and to send him my sympathies over the result on Friday. I am sure he won’t put the suits away quite yet as the local election is just around the corner and the next time out, I'm sure he will regain his Leinster House seat. To all the other candidates and election workers I think they did a great job.

Comrades we have seen a lot worse days than Friday, and we have over come them. At least we are all still standing and we did not have to hear the lament. My head is still stuck up high and proud as ever because I know our day is coming.

Never Surrender. Never give up. Onwards To Victory!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well said Eugene

Anonymous said...

In 92 when Adams lost his seat, we re-organised and regained by a bigger majority.

Maybe this will prove to be a wake up call and something that was needed.

We can overcome anything.

Colleen

Anonymous said...

I totally agree with Eugene, we ran a good campaign and we had great policies. It is no fault of our own that the electorate voted with their pockets in this election.

We are all disappointed, that is to be expected, but Republicans have been in darker corners than this and we will come back from this setback stronger than ever

Dominic

P.S - McDowell lost his seat - seems every cloud has a silver lining.

Anonymous said...

We may have lost a seat, but we have also gained alot of votes all over the country.

Just remember we havn't gone away :)

Anonymous said...

Keep er lie, wer more than an electioneering party - we will campaign, re-organise, strenghten our base and bounce back next time. Wee buns comrades!

Anonymous said...

Far be it for me, an American, to criticize anything. But since I follow Irish politics and identify wiht the Sinn Fein, I think this party needs to find ways to modernize. Since the party is one of the oldest, maybe Irish people are looking for a new voice to lead them to a new future. The same thing is happening here, in America. People are tired with politics-as-usual and is voting in fresh faces. A new charasmatic leadership is needed for the Sinn Fein. But, for the most part, well said Eugene.