Saturday, February 23, 2008

Foglaim Gaeilge, Aon Duine?

Le MacSainordú
I used to think Irish wasn’t very important. I thought it was a played tune in the history of Ireland, and I never thought it would be in anyway important to me.

I thought Irish was a subject in school and that was it. I didn’t have any special feeling towards it, and unfortunately, that was typical in my class, school and amongst my friends. When I left school I stopped my Irish, and I never really thought of it again until just a few months ago. And in truth I was lazy.

But after a while I began to understand the importance of the Irish Language. I saw the movement amongst young people and the Irish speaking community, especially in the six counties. I saw the language growing, and I liked it. I began thinking, “What kind of country do I want?”

We are Republican activists, and we have the responsibility to develop the Irish Language; within Sinn Féin at least, and throughout the country at most. I believe it is the responsibility of everyone in Ógra and in Sinn Féin to build a bi-lingual party. With this to achieve, we must all become learners; every one of us. It isn’t easy to learn- I know, I’m trying!- but it is very important.

Until a few months ago I was lazy. I said, “Ah I don’t have enough time, I’m too busy.” But that was my excuse. I heard a particular person speaking recently, and he said, “A person without time for Irish, is a person without time for the struggle.” I agree completely. Speak whatever you have and do your best!

A country without a language, is a country without a soul.
Learn Irish!

Mheas mé tráth nach raibh an Ghaeilge iontach tábhachtach. Shíl mé go raibh a port seinnte, i stair na hÉireann, agus níor shíl mé go mbeadh tábhachtach ar bith ann dom.

Cheap mé gur ábhar scoile a bhí sa Ghaeilge, agus é sin amháin. Níor mhothaigh mé rud ar bith speisialta fúithi, agus bhí sin tipiciúil i mo rang agus i mo scoil agus i measc mo chairde, ar an drochuair. Nuair d'imigh mé ón scoil, chuir mé deireadh le mo chuid Ghaeilge agus níor smaoinigh mé faoin Ghaeilge arís go dtí ach amháin cúpla mhí ó shin. Agus i bhfírnne, bhí mé falsa.

Ach i ndiaidh tamaill, thuig mé thábhact na Gaeilge. Chonaic mé an ghluaiseacht i measc na ndaoine óga, agus an pobail Gaeilge, sna sé chontae go háirithe. Chonaic mé an teanga ag fás agus thaithin sí liom . Thósaigh mé ag smaoineamh, "Cén cineál tíre a ba mhaith liom?"

Is gníomhaíthe poblachtacha sinne, agus tá de chúram againn an Ghaeilge a fhobairt, istigh i Sinn Féin ar a laghad, agus ar fud na tíre ar a mhéad. Creidim go bhfuil an dualgas ar gach duine in Ógra agus i Sinn Féin páirtí dátheangach a thógáil. Le seo a bhaint amach, caithfidh muid éirí agus foghlaim, gach duine againn. Níl sí fuarasta a fhoglaim – tá fhios agam, tá mé ag iarraidh é a dhéanamh!- ach tá sí iontach tábhactach.

Go dtí cúpla mhí ó shin bhí mé falsa. Duirt mé, "Ah níl go leor ama agam, tá mé ro-gnóthach." Ach ba é sin mo leithscéal. Chuala mé duine áirithe ag caint le déanaí, agus duirt sé "duine gan am don Ghaeilge, 'sé duine gan am don streachailt". Aontaím ar fad. Labhair cibé atá agat, ach déan do dhícheall.

Tír gan teanga, tír gan anam.
Foghlaim Gaeilge!

3 comments:

Seán Ó said...

I've heard talks of us becoming bi-lingual.. But where is the action on it? I hope it is addressed at the Ard Fheis in full voice this weekend.

I am trying to setup a gaeilge society in college. We the people have to make our move or nothing will happen in Ireland, I highlighted this on my blog (aontacht.blogspot.com).

But I think the people are getting more involved. The march in Belfast was an indication of that. The Government needs to increase FnG funding, and rethink the way of learning Gaeilge. I could write forever about this issue, but I just don't have the time.

Anonymous said...

Good point Sean. I know there is moves to set up bi - lingual cumann which is a positive step. Which Uni are u in Sean..

Maybe we can be of assistance,

J

Seán Ó said...

I am in WIT here in Waterford. If you need my contact details just let me know.